Library Services Offered During the COVID-19 Pandemic
NTPL’s Response to COVID-19
Curbside pickup service is available during the temporary provincial shutdown (starting December 26, 2020).
Placing Holds Using the Online Catalogue
Requests (“holds”) can now be placed through our online catalogue by logging in to your account. To access your online account, you will need your library card number and password/PIN. If you can’t remember your password/PIN, or would like some support searching for material or placing holds using the online catalogue, please give us a call.
Once your items are ready, staff will contact you by phone to schedule a pickup time.
We also continue to welcome your Curbside Pickup requests by phone!
Sign Up For a Virtual Membership
NTPL is now offering a Virtual Membership!
This limited membership provides quick access to our online/digital collections:
- OverDrive (ebooks & audiobooks & streaming video)
- Flipster (online magazines)
- Audio BookCloud (more audiobooks)
- Mango Languages
And so much more!
Sign up today by filling out the form on the Virtual Membership page here.
Library Services Offered During the Covid-19 pandemic
- Curbside Pickup is offered at all branches
- Our electronic services will remain open 24/7 at ntpl.ca for online eBooks, audiobooks, databases and more.
CURBSIDE PICKUP OFFERED AT ALL BRANCHES
While library hours are limited and staff are at reduced levels, NTPL is pleased to offer Curbside Pickup.
- Curbside pickup will be available Monday to Friday, 10:30am to 4:30pm.
- Maximum of 10 items per card (books, movies, audiobooks, or magazines).
- Patrons an request items by contacting any library branch:
- Library staff will contact patrons to schedule pickup arrangements.
- NTPL will not charge late fees for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, library drop boxes are open and items can be returned at any time.
- An active NTPL library membership card is needed to take advantage of Curbside Pickup. Patrons without a library membership can call or visit any branch to set up a membership.
Health & Safety Considerations
While NTPL staff will do their utmost to provide this service in a safe, contactless way, it is important to keep the following in mind:
- Patrons who are immune compromised or otherwise susceptible to COVID-19 infection are advised to NOT take out library materials.
- The COVID-19 virus can survive up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless steel. Patrons taking advantage of Curbside Pickup are therefore advised to store books for a minimum of 24 hours before handling them.
- Library materials will be placed in paper bags for pickup for the reasons listed above.
- Patrons will be advised to wash hands before and after handling books and other items, avoid touching their faces while reading, and avoid sneezing or coughing onto the page while reading.
- Staff will exercise proper social distancing protocol and wear necessary personal protective equipment when handling library materials for Curbside Pickup. Staff will not be interacting directly with the public.
- Library materials available for Curbside Pickup have been quarantined for at least 72 hours to minimize risk.
- As the COVID-19 crisis continues to evolve, the Library will monitor and re-evaluate Curbside Pickup service as needed and may cancel the service without notice.
1 University of California – Los Angeles. “Study reveals how long COVID-19 remains infectious on cardboard, metal and plastic: People may acquire coronavirus through air and by touching contaminated surfaces.” ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 20 March 2020. www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200320192755.htm
Health & Safety is Our Top Priority
The health and safety of our staff and patrons is our top priority.
Our services follow the framework provided by the Province of Ontario, the advice of the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit and other health experts, and follows best practices within library and retail industries.
Here are some of the measures we have put in place:
- All staff have Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Returned materials are quarantined for at least 72 hours.
- Pick-up locations have proper physical distancing protocols in place.
- Intensive cleaning of branches has been done in advance, with special disinfecting of high-touch surfaces.
- Regular cleaning and hand washing protocols are in place.
Patrons will be required to:
- Wear a face mask or face covering of their own provision while in the Library, for their entire visit.
- Keep a distance of 2 metres (6 feet) from others.
- Sanitize their hands when entering the branch.
By-Law 2020-137 from the Town prohibits access, use and booking of municipal recreation facilities, including the library, to persons whose primary residence is in an area subject to more restrictive public health measures than the Town of New Tecumseth.
Reference and Reader’s Advisory services available by contacting Leslie (firstname.lastname@example.org).
LIBRARY BRANCH PHONES
Library Branch phone lines are being answered; phone messages will be returned.
Late fees will be waived for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic.
ACCOUNTS & MEMBERSHIPS
Update your account PIN or renew your expired membership by calling one of the branches or emailing email@example.com.
PROGRAMS THRU SOCIAL MEDIA
Programs are being offered on our social media channels
Free WiFi is available outside all of our Branches – remember to respect social distancing!
For further information about New Tecumseth Public Library, please contact CEO Graeme Peters at firstname.lastname@example.org or (705) 435-0250.