Library Board & Policy
The Library Board meets on the third Thursday of every month, except July and August, at 7:00 p.m. The meetings typically take place in the W.I. Room at the Memorial Branch, however due to COVID-19, our meetings now take place online via Zoom. If you would like to join a Library Board meeting virtually, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and an invitation will be sent to you.
The Library Board is a group of volunteers, appointed by the Town of New Tecumseth Council, to direct the policies, goals and objectives of the library and advocate for the library in the greater community. The day-to-day operation of the library is the responsibility of the CEO and management staff.
A Library Board member is appointed for a four-year term by the Municipal council at the beginning of each Council’s term. The new board has been selected by council and will serve from January 2019 to December 2022.
Before appointing the Library Board, an advertisement is placed in the local newspapers, inviting applications. The application is also available online. A person is qualified to be appointed as a member of the Library Board who is a member of the appointing Council or:
- Is at least 18 years of age;
- Is a Canadian Citizen;
- Is a resident of New Tecumseth or of a municipality that has a contract with the Board;
- Is not employed by the Board or by the Town or by the County.
Please click on the appropriate link to view the approved minutes from the Library Board meetings. Minutes are posted here after they are approved by the board as a means of providing transparency with the public, as required by Provincial standards.
Library Code of Conduct
In order to prevent disruptions to library services, ensure the safety of the public and staff, and maintain the security of library property, the New Tecumseth Public Library Board has approved the
following Code of Conduct.
- Any behavior that is unsafe, disrupts others’ use and enjoyment of the Library, or is inappropriate to the Library’s purpose will be dealt with immediately by staff. Library privileges may be restricted or withdrawn for such behavior.
- Those who behave inappropriately or disruptively can be banned from Library premises, temporarily by the CEO or permanently by the New Tecumseth Public Library Board.
- Conversations in the library should be kept at a quiet level to avoid disturbing others. Rude and obscene language will not be tolerated.
- Being intoxicated on library property due to alcohol or drug abuse is prohibited.
- Damage, misuse or theft of library materials, equipment or property is considered a serious offence and will be responded to accordingly. Library management reserves the right to ask members of the public to open all bags, books and papers for inspection.
- Inappropriate use of computers, including accessing pornography on the Web, engaging in cyber-bullying, using a computer without first checking out at the desk, etc. can result in the temporary or permanent cancellation of computer privileges.
- Taking library materials into washrooms is not allowed. Use of unauthorized entrances, exits and “Staff Only” areas without permission is prohibited.
- No posting notices, distributing circulars or petitions, soliciting or engaging in any commercial activity on the premises without prior approval of the CEO or designate.
- Bringing animals into the library is not allowed, except those in authorized programs or those needed to assist someone with a disability.
- Using the library as a general playground is prohibited: children must not chase each other, run, jump or scream. Children under the age of 11 should not be left unattended on library premises. Use of sports equipment on library property is not allowed.
- Photographing, filming or video-recording on library premises is not allowed without the prior written consent of the CEO or designate.
- Food or drink should not be consumed in the public areas of the Library, except in specific programs in designated areas, e.g. Lemonade Club, Cocoa Club, etc. Liquids are not permitted in the vicinity of any computers.
Public Internet Access Policy
Before using the Internet Computers, users are required to carefully read and agree to the New Tecumseth Public Library’s Internet Access Policy.
Patrons must have a valid Library card and login at the Computers using the PC Reservation system. Computer use time can be reserved up to seven (7) days in advance. Please make these arrangements with Library Staff at the Desk. When all terminals are in use you can reserve a next-available computer by speaking to Staff at the Desk. The Library offers a non-reservable ‘Express Station’ 15 minutes use only for patrons who are in a hurry. Guest Passes are available for out-of-town users on a one-day use basis.
Inappropriate use of computers, including accessing pornography on the Web, engaging in cyber-bullying, attempting to use a computer by trying to circumvent the PC Reservation system, etc. can result in the temporary or permanent cancellation of computer privileges.
Staff Assistance: The computer stations are self-serve. If you run into difficulties, and staff time permits, Library staff will attempt to assist, keeping in mind that staff may not be familiar with every application patrons might want to use. Patrons are invited to consult the many resources about the Internet available at the Library.
Time Limits: The Internet is a very popular resource. Patrons are welcome to search the Internet for a maximum of two one hour sessions per day, including time required to print pages. If the computers are not busy, it is possible to extend the time on each session in fifteen (15) minute increments. The PC Reservation system will provide ‘end of session’ warnings to users – please pay attention to these reminders. When the Internet Computers are busy, your session will end at the appointed time.
Misuse of Library Facilities Policy: It is Library Board Policy that anyone misusing library facilities cannot remain in the Library.
Printing: All of the computers are networked to the photocopier/printer located near the Desk. Copies are 25 cents for black ink or 75 cents for colour per page, payable in advance at the Desk. Your print job cannot be processed without payment.
Usage: Internet computers are to be used for Internet access and to work with the data processing software already installed. Changes cannot be made to the configuration of the software or hardware and anyone caught doing so will have their computer privileges suspended. Downloading to an individual portable device is permissible.
Since our space is limited and increased noise from group conversations is disruptive to others, only one person can use a workstation at any one time. The Library’s Internet access does not include mail (except for web-based mail services like Hotmail), newsgroups or chat groups.
All users are expected to respect the privacy of others using the Internet and not interfere with their use.
Users are reminded that the Internet terminals are in a public area. It is expected that patrons will use the Internet Terminals in accordance with the public nature of the location. The Library Staff are fully authorized to protect the quiet enjoyment of the Library by the general public.
Internet Use Policy
The following activities are PROHIBITED:
- Use of workstations for illegal, objectionable, actionable or criminal purposes or to seek access to unauthorized areas.
- Accessing illegal sites or minors accessing age restricted sites.
- Subverting or attempting to subvert any security devices in either software or hardware format which the library has installed on its Internet workstations.
- Installing or attempting to install viruses or other programs designed to damage or alter software on the workstations, the local area network or the Internet, or seeking unauthorized access to any computer system.
- Sending unsolicited commercial material or spamming.
- Misrepresenting oneself as another user.
- Attempting to modify or gain access to files, passwords, or data belonging to others.
- Vandalism or theft of library property.
Consequences of Violating Internet Access and Use Guidelines:
Users in violation of the library’s Internet access and use guidelines will have their Internet privileges revoked.
Misuse or abuse of computers or programs is not acceptable. Offenders will be required to leave the library.
Customers using the library’s Internet workstations for illegal purposes will be subject to prosecution. Vandalism or theft of library property is illegal and will be reported to the police.
From the New Tecumseth Public Library Internet Policy passed by the Library Board on 28 February 2012.*
Room Rental Policy
SCHEDULE OF FEES, FINES AND CHARGES
ROOM RENTAL CHARGES
For Profit and Non-Profit Organizations:
$25.00 per hour (minimum 1 hour booking)
Daily maximum rate is $125.00 for 7 hours
Attention: a $25.00 fee for cleaning and supplies will be levied if the room is not returned to satisfactory condition at the end of the booking.
EQUIPMENT RENTAL CHARGES
Currently there are no equipment rentals available.
FACILITY RENTAL RULES
It is understood and agreed between the applicant and the New Tecumseth Public Library Board that the following regulations have been read and will be observed:
- A set of keys will be given to access the RENTAL FACILITIES when applicable. These keys may not be copied and must be returned after each rental. Failure to comply may result in lost rental privileges.
- The applicant is responsible for any loss or damages incurred to Library property or equipment, and agrees to reimburse the New Tecumseth Public Library Board for any damages resulting from the event described on this application.
- The New Tecumseth Public Library Board reserves the right to refuse any application.
- Alcohol and smoking are not permitted on the Library premises.
- Set up is the responsibility of the renter. The room is to be left in the same condition as it was found.
- At the close of the meeting, the applicant shall ensure that room lights are turned off, windows are shut and that the door is left properly locked.
- All supplies and cleaning may be an additional cost. This may include: toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies, etc.
- All fees must be paid in full upon booking the facility. Please make cheques payable to the New Tecumseth Public Library. Please refer to Policy Manual for Policy No. 7.05 Meeting Room Bookings and Appendix 6 Schedule of Fees, Fines and Charges.